Monday, July 7, 2008

Is It Just Me?????

Is it just me, or do little, doable projects ALWAYS become huge, expensive projects???? Must simple things ALWAYS become difficult???

Case in point: I am in the process of painting my closet doors. I have two large closets. Each closet has two folding doors. Each of those folding doors has two panels. That means I have 8 separate, beveled doors (on both sides) to paint. Now that's a doable project, right? So I took all the hardware off and set it carefully aside. I have begun painting. I have completely finished three panels and am halfway through a fourth.

Yesterday I was going to put the hardware back on the first set of folding doors. I started to put the knob back on and realized, "Wait, this is gold. All the other hardware in my room is black." So, another trip to Home Depot to get new knobs and hinges. Simple, right? That's what I thought, too.

I get to Home Depot. I find plenty of knobs I like, but I can't find the right hinges in black. In fact, they don't even make these particular hinges at all, let alone in black. So I'm thinking I'll have to drill new holes in the door for different hinges. Then I have a brainstorm. Why don't I just paint the silly things black? So I go to the paint department and talk to the guru there. He says I need to sand them a little, then prime them, then paint them. And he's talking multiple coats. And there are 12 hinges!!! So, I bought spray paint. Then talking to someone here, I learned that you don't paint the screws until after you screw them back into the door. Then you get an itty bitty paint brush and paint them black. That way you don't scratch the new paint off.

Oh, and the screws for the new knobs aren't long enough. I have to go back to Home Depot to get longer screws.......

ARRGGGHHHH!!! I won't have my doors back up for another two months at this rate! It's so ridiculous, it's hilarious.

Does anyone else ever have these experiences?

4 smart remarks:

Mark Dixon said...

We frequently judge projects by how many trips it takes to Home Depot to get them completed. I think six trips in one Saturday is our record.

joeyship said...

You've got me beat. But I HAVE been to the grocery store 5 times in one day!!! :o)

Unknown said...

I wish we would've kept track when we were doing electrical work in the basement. It was hilarious...cause it was so ridiculous. The perfect way to express it. :)

granny said...

There is no such thing as a simple project, jtlyk.