Thursday, June 17, 2010

Harmonious Dating at 53??? Oy Vey!!

At the request of a number of my friends, I have decided to entertain all of you with my adventures in the world of "nearly senior dating." Not all of you know that about three weeks ago, on an impulse, I signed up for E-Harmony. I had taken a couple of days off work, and you know what they say -- idle hands are the devil's workshop! Actually, I worked in the yard and various other things, but one night I was bored. And, boy-howdy, how I changed the course of my peaceful, uneventful life! Well, look at it this way. At least I have something to blog about now.

Let me explain how it works: You sign up and start filling out a profile -- for free. Before long, you discover you can't really do much until you pay the big bucks. I forked it out reluctantly -- I argued with myself for an entire day. I spent about 2 hours filling out questionnaire after questionnaire about myself -- it's basically a personality test. Then you fill out questionnaire after questionnaire about what you're looking for in a potential partner. You upload a picture, or pictures. You give them a list of parameters -- how far from your home they can search, preferences with regard to race, religion, smoking, drinking, age, your feelings on kids, etc. Then.............. drumroll.................. they do their magic.

Before I knew it, I had 7 matches just waiting for my perusal. You look at the profiles and see if there's anyone you are interested in. If you are, you can start communicating with them by sending a list of multiple choice questions you have chosen from their selection. They respond and send you a list of their own. The same thing happens with a list of "Must Haves and Can't Stands." Then, you send three open-ended questions -- meaning that the answers are basically an essay. If you get past these three things, then you can communicate through their email. It is done through the site, so you don't give up your personal email information.

I will save details for another post, but just let me tell you that I have not had this much social anxiety since I was 23 years old!! I have actually met 4 "potentials" in person, and have plans to meet another this weekend. I've been a nervous wreck! haha What should I wear? Do I look fat in this? Look at those gray roots!! I hate all my clothes!!! Ugh! I'm having SUCH a bad hair day! And the list goes on. You all remember what this was like, right? hahaha Imagine going through it as an oldster. On second thought, don't. You do want to sleep tonight, don't you?

So, stay tuned folks! More to come.................

5 smart remarks:

girlygirl said...

This is fabulous! I cannot wait to hear more! You are so brave and amazing for putting yourself out there. I can't wait to hear about the results. :) Thanks for sharing!

runningfan said...

OK, first of all, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw you had a new post! And it certainly didn't disappoint! I'm thrilled for you, and also totally impressed with your efforts. I hope you have lots of fun. I can well imagine the anxiety, but how could someone not like YOU?! You're fantastic, and I can't believe you own a thing that would make you look fat. :)

granny said...

A. You NEVER look fat.
B. Have fun this weekend. Hope the results are...better!
C. Love you.

Sherelynn Gray said...

Keep writing, please. Who knows? You may even inspire me to jump in there (but I have to read much more about it first.

joeyship said...

Sherry: I would love to have a partner in crime. Come on!!! Whaddya' have to lose?? Except.....perhaps your sanity. haha