Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It's The Little Things

Thanksgiving is my very favorite holiday of the year. There is really nothing quite like gorging on fabulous food with the people you love the most!!! Almost everyone in the family will attest to the fact that grandma's stuffing is the best on the planet, by the way.

We all know there's more to Thanksgiving than eating until we're sick and watching football. It's about being thankful. And I am. I could go on and on about my dear family, friends, having a roof over my head and my relative comfort. But, I think we all tend to forget about the little things that add that extra zing to our lives. So, here's my list of ten things that I don't recognize nearly often enough.

1. Cranberries -- I made some whole cranberry sauce the other day, and I realized how much I love those little red berries. They are beautiful, for one thing. There is nothing like cranberry red. They are awfully tart, but add a little sugar and they become a flavor explosion. And, of all things, they are good for you.
2. Space Heaters -- What would I do without my space heaters? Hmm, maybe shrivel up and die? I don't use one at home, but I would surely freeze to death at work without one (yes, both jobs). I have even been known to run one in the summer when the air conditioning is set on "Planet Hoth." I love that little powerhouse of heat that makes my life at work much more pleasant.
3. Trees -- Have you ever hugged a tree? No, I mean REALLY hugged a tree. I have! In fact, on those rare occasions when I get up into the hills for a hike, I make a point of hugging at least one tree. Trees are beautiful, strong, resilient -- all characteristics I would like to emulate. I have had people sneeringly call me a "tree hugger" as if it were the worst insult ever. I just smile and say, "Why, thank you!" Did you know there are some trees that, at the end of a warm day, actually smell like cookies baking in the oven? Strange, but true. There is much we could learn from trees, but that's a blog for another day.
4. Libraries -- I love the library. Since I love to read, but cannot afford to purchase books, the library is a treasure to me. Some of my earliest memories include trips to the old Chapman Branch in Salt Lake and the books I checked out and read. (In fact one of those books of my youth is, in large, responsible for my insane desire to go to Northern Ireland.) In this day and age of E-books and budget shortfalls, one worries about the future of libraries. But there is something about actually holding a book in your hands. There's something downright exciting about wandering the quiet aisles filled with so many different ideas. I have no desire to sit in front of a computer screen to read a book. I spend enough time in front of that screen every day.
5. A Boss That Makes Me Go Home -- I have changed jobs in recent months, and I have gotten into the habit of not leaving when I should. I do tend to be a bit of a workaholic. I go in early, often work through lunch, and leave late nearly every day. It has become a bit of a contest to see who gets there first in the morning. He rarely wins. But at the end of the day, he has been known to say: "If you're not out of here in 15 minutes, you're fired!" Yes sir! Right away sir!! Sometimes I don't know when to say when, so he says it for me.
6. Flannel Sheets -- About a month ago, I noticed that I had a hard time getting warm once I got into bed, especially if I was a little bit cold before I crawled in. My sheets were COLD! My thermostat drops into the mid-60's at night, and I just wasn't staying warm enough. Out came the flannel sheets, and what a difference it made. I can actually roll over or move my feet without feeling like I've been thrown onto the floor of a meat locker. Just don't try to wear flannel pajamas. It's like wearing Velcro to bed.
7. Alternate Routes -- I take a pretty convoluted route to work in the morning. I have tried the major roads, but traffic is hideous. So I have created a route on less frequently used roads, and I really enjoy it. The speed limit is lower, but I still get there more quickly because I'm not jousting for a position in a turning lane, nor sitting through three green lights. I've gotten a kick out of watching the evolution of a large pumpkin field--from lush green vines, to just pumpkins laying in the field waiting to be selected by excited children, and finally to the plowed-under remains of orange flesh speckling the field. I've watched the colors in the river bottoms change, as well as mist coming up from the river on cold days. It's SO much better than watching the bumper of the car in front of you. I find my route to be a microcosm of my life. My life has definitely not been the straight path I had once envisioned. It has been full of crazy twists and turns. But they have added a beauty to my life that I would not have experienced if I had not chosen to take the alternate route.
8. Bill Pay -- I love the online bill pay feature offered by my banking institution. Katie tried to get me "hooked up" for a couple of years before I took the plunge. Why did I wait so long? It's so easy, quick and worry-free. I've paid hundreds of bills this way now, but I still haven't won the $5,000 sweepstakes they dangle in front of my nose. What's up with that?
9. Talent of Others -- Since I have yet to discover any great talent in myself, I greatly appreciate the talent of others. I love listening to music that others create. I am awed, and often inspired, by beautiful paintings and photographs. I love going to a movie and watching this thing that someone else has put together that takes me out of my own life for a few minutes. We enjoy the fruits of the imagination of others every minute of the day in all of the conveniences we enjoy, like cars, appliances, electronics, etc. The diversity of talent in this world makes it a place of wonder.
10. Retreats -- Isn't it great to be able to step back and retreat from the world for a time? This retreat can be for a few days or even a few hours. There's nothing I love more than traveling. I try to always have a retreat of some sort in the making. Even if I don't have reservations, just the thought gives me something to look forward to. Of course, finances do not allow an awful lot of travel, so I have to find other ways to retreat. A drive in the mountains will do, as will a walk along the river, going to the gym and swimming in a nearly empty pool, watching the sunset at Antelope Island, or even closing the doors to my bedroom and getting lost in the pages of a good book. As busy as life is, it's important to step back for a few minutes and replenish.

That was a bit long-winded. Guess I'm back in the blogosphere with a vengeance. I would love to hear about some of the little, not-often-noted, things in your life that bring comfort, happiness, and laughter. Please share...............

Posted by Picasa

4 smart remarks:

runningfan said...

Awesome post!

I am thankful for online communication. How often would we connect without Facebook and blogs?

I am thankful for washers, dryers, dishwashers, vacuums, blow dryers, cars...things that make my daily life easier.

I am thankful my family and I are healthy.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Emmy Z. said...

What a great list! It definitely makes me think more about those little things...like Grandma's stuffing. My mouth is watering already.

Kate said...

I'm thankful for cell-phones, for stories about balloons, for Christmas ornaments, for socks, for TV trays, and for YOU! (I do think you belong in the following category .... not-often-noted, things in your life that bring comfort, happiness, and laughter.) :) Love you.

joeyship said...

Awwww, Katie. You bring a tear to my eye. I kinda' like you too, dear.