Sunday, November 22, 2009

COMPLAINT FREE WEDNESDAY

Yes, I realize that today is not Wednesday, but I wanted to post this early so you'd have time to think it over. I was listening to the radio yesterday, and there was a report about a bill that Missouri's Congressman, Emanuel Cleaver, is sponsoring (House Concurrent Resolution 155). It designates the day before Thanksgiving as official "Complaint Free Wednesday." The radio program was Wait, Wait -- Don't Tell Me, which I enjoy immensely. They were, of course, making light of the bill, just as they do every other topic they tackle.

The resolution states: "From time to time, we all experience anxiety, frustration, stress, and regret. And often, we respond to these feelings with a criticism or a complaint. Regrettably, complaining keeps people stuck on current problems, inhibiting them from thinking constructively to find solutions. Research has also shown that complaining can be harmful to one's emotional and physical health, relationships, and can limit professional career success."

WOW! I didn't know there had been studies, but it makes complete sense to me.

The bill continues: "In the spirit of hope, optimism, and positivity, and in honor of its efforts to encourage people to look forward, not backward, the group A Complaint Free World is to be recognized. A Complaint Free World's goal in fact, is to motivate 1% of the global population (about 60 million people) to become complaint free." This bill is revenue neutral (meaning it won't cost anything). It mentions that setting aside the day before Thanksgiving as Complaint Free Wednesday would, indeed, help us prepare for a day of gratitude.

This report piqued my interest, so I did an internet search. Every site I visited was overwhelmingly negative. Readers' posts were filled with resentment, hatred and negativity. It was almost frightening. It seems that these "bloggers" can see nothing but the political problems this country is experiencing, and they hurl their blame like poison darts. They can't seem to see past their anger for even just--one--day. Carrying around that kind of anger cannot be healthy. It would be good for everyone to take a rest from it for one day.

I know that we live in very difficult times. Many people are out of work and are suffering terrible financial setbacks. It seems that the majority of us are struggling to make ends meet. The economic climate is frightening. I, too, worry about the future. But I would look forward to one day when I make a concerted effort not to worry about these things. I would love just one day to concentrate on the many good things of the world and focus my energy in that direction.

I must agree that this bill is really nothing but feel-good "fluff." But wouldn't it feel good to feel good for just one day? I don't think the bill has a chance of passing. I'm sure there are not enough members of Congress that want to waste their time on such things. But I don't need this day to be "officially" declared. I can recognize it on my own, and I fully intend to do so. WHO WANTS TO JOIN ME??

So, if any of you catch me complaining on Wednesday, will you please send a reminder my way? You never know, I might like not complaining so much that I'll decide not to complain on Thursday, or Friday, or Saturday..............


3 smart remarks:

girlygirl said...

I agree! I will refrain from any complaining on Wednesday. I'll bet it'll feel just delicious! I can't wait!

runningfan said...

What a fantastic idea! Count me in!

granny said...

I'm in! I actually really try not to complain, but I'm ridiculously unsuccessful. Wednesday, here I come!