Thursday, April 2, 2009

Take This Job And.......Love It!

The current downturn in the economy seems to be touching nearly everyone. I have not been immune. Although nothing has happened yet (and maybe nothing will), I am looking at the possibility of having my hours reduced at both of my jobs. I suppose there's a possibility I could even be RIF'd. I don't believe it will come to that. But contemplating these things has made me a little more appreciative of my jobs. I'm going to list some reasons I love my jobs:

1. I live in very close proximity to both jobs, especially my primary job at the prison. It takes me 5 to 10 minutes to get to work. I can run home and do a load of laundry on my lunch hour if I like. I'm so glad I'm not a commuter.

2. I love my schedule. I work four 10-hour days at the prison. That gives me a three-day weekend every week. Of course, being the workaholic I am, I use the weekend to work the second loved job. However, someday I would love to be able to keep those weekends to myself, accomplishing large projects at home, or perhaps taking little trips. Gotta' keep that hope alive!

3. I love my fellow employees in both locations. I have made some enduring friendships in both locations. Many of them have become almost like family. I actually even socialize with some of them. I go to movies, dinner and lunch with Jodie and Tamara. Nadia and I go to water aerobics together. We've created a group called "Bored of Education" (yes I know it's ironic that this grammatically incorrect title was created by educators). We get together every couple of months and go to dinner. Anyway, you see what I mean. My life would be a little less full without these friends.

4. My job at the prison is interesting and different every day. I never lack for stories to tell. I interview inmates every day. Some of them are a bit frustrating to deal with, but most are respectful and cooperative. They come from all over the country, and even the world. This is a very diverse population, and it's interesting to hear their stories, their accents, their EXCUSES, their whining, and their appreciation for what you do for them. Yesterday, a potential student came in and sat down. He started to talk before I looked up. I thought for sure that when I raised my eyes, I would see a man with a worn plaid flannel shirt, a coonskin cap and a huntin' rifle in his hands. His hillbilly accent was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. But he was so very courteous. On the other hand, a student came to my office last week and wanted me to do something I could not do. I told him to go back to his teacher. He argued with me a bit, but I stood my ground. Well, I learned later that he thinks I'm "grumpy." Ya, I'll bet that's what he called me! haha This job has really opened my eyes to a side of life I hardly knew existed 10 years ago. It certainly makes you appreciate your own problems.

5. I love the fact that I really feel invested in what I do. I believe in what I'm doing. I think it's important to educate this segment of the population, if we want to hope that they will ever become productive members of our society. It's too bad our funding is being cut year after year. There are some out there that feel they don't deserve a second chance. What a shame!

6. I have a lot of fun chatting with people at my "other" job at the recreation center. It's amazing what a smile and hello will do. People who would otherwise blaze right past you, stop and chat. I have shared a lot of laughter, and even some tears, with these folks. I especially enjoy the elderly folks that come in. I so admire their dedication to maintaining their strength as they age.

7. I love the fact that I am self-sufficient. These jobs make that possible, of course. There have been times in my life when I really didn't have any confidence in myself, nor my abilities. But both of these jobs have pushed me into my "discomfort" zone and helped me develop skills that I would not otherwise have. I have learned to really enjoy people--all sorts of people. I have become less judgmental of those who make mistakes. "But for the grace of God, there go I......." I try to remember that every day. I've learned to have empathy without having sympathy.

Those are just a few of the reasons I love my jobs and hope to hang onto them for a long time. Yes, I have bad days in both places, but they are far and few between. And I feel lucky to really like what I do...................

Happy weekend, ya'll.

4 smart remarks:

runningfan said...

It's refreshing to read such an uplifting post! So glad you're happy and blooming where you've been planted.

granny said...

Ah, Jo, I love you. Thanks for sharing. Loved it.

Chip said...

you do have a way with words.... I miss reading those.. thanks for the link.......

you are a very special person Jo..I love your outlook on life.

Emmy Z. said...

I, too, am thrilled that I don't have a long commute to work. Small things really count, don't they?