Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Day of Accomplishments

I haven't washed my car for months and months. What's the point? I've been parking it in the driveway, or on the street, for about 10 or 11 months now. I'm happy to report that my car will soon know the luxury of having a bath, for it now has a place to sleep at night.

After PM left, I moved all of the belongings he left behind into "my half" of the garage or in the storage unit. I thought it would be a matter of days, or maybe weeks, until he came to retrieve his things. Boy, was I wrong!!! In the few conversations I had with him shortly after he left, I asked, begged and demanded that he come get them. I guess he had other ideas....

Spring turned into summer, summer turned into fall, and fall into winter, and my car was still on the street. It was almost a relief not having to back up the hill after it snowed, but I sure got sick of scraping windows. In December, I had PM served with an eviction notice, but to no avail. So after the 30 days was up, I started getting his things out of the garage. I then emptied the storage unit into the vacated space. I was finally able to find a home for most of the furniture, but there was still enough left that I could still not get my car into the garage.

Well today it all changed. I took the day off and the boys helped me rearrange things in the garage (and also encouraged me to get rid of more junk) so I can actually pull into the garage. It was a lot of hard work, but there were a few lighter moments. There were two large cabinets I asked them to move into the basement. My house is full of funny angles, and the entry from the garage into the house is one of those places. They ended up having to take the cabinets past the water heater and over the top of the washer to get it into the proper room. I didn't realize I had such talented contortionists living under my roof. When they lifted the second cabinet up off of the garage floor, Daniel had the honor of disturbing the skeleton of a mouse (he called it a rat, although I was convinced it was a small dinosaur). He was NOT pleased. We spent several hours moving things, sweeping, vacuuming and rearranging. I put a couple of old bikes out on the street with a "FREE" sign. A little girl just came to the door and asked if she and her sisters could have them. Hallelujah! And this afternoon, I have a nice place of repose for my car. I'm doing a happy dance, I'll tell you what!!!! So, tomorrow after work, I believe I'll head for the carwash! It's about time.

I had another nice surprise--well nice for me, anyway. My dear daughter called to ask advice about her cold and how she could help herself feel better. She had been to the doctor because she has a trip coming up and she doesn't want to be sick when she goes. As it turns out, she did not have anything that's treatable with antibiotics. He did give her a prescription for codeine (even though she's not coughing???????). I'm still shaking my head over that one. I made a few suggestions, one of which was rest. She was dreading going home for several reasons, so I suggested she come out here and rest. I made her hot honey and lemon, and we spent a couple of hours watching a movie together. She was actually feeling a little better by the time she left. I never seem to get enough Katie time.....so I was glad she came--sick or not.

So, I used a day of precious vacation time doing something a little less than relaxing. But what a relief to have it done and to be able to park in my garage for the first time in nearly a year. Definitely a day of accomplishments, thanks to my fabulous sons!

6 smart remarks:

runningfan said...

What a fabulous feeling it is to transform a "black hole" into a happy space! Parking in the garage will make you smile every day! Way to go.

runningfan said...

P.S. Gavin has really enjoyed dancing to your blog music! It's helping us past the last witching hour before bedtime!

girlygirl said...

Good job - I'll bet it feels good that your car has a home and you have a little more space! I love that "cleaned-out" feeling! I hope you're doing well and I enjoy reading your blog!

granny said...

It is amazing what a happy feeling it is to park in the garage again. We've had a few "projects" in the garage in the last couple of years and it is such freedom to finally get to use it for parking purposes again. I'm so happy for you! Life's simple pleasures. :)

KColton said...

I can totally see you doing a happy dance after you finished cleaning out the garage! haha :) congrats!

angiedunn said...

oh man...i feel satisfied just reading that post! awesome.

and LOL to "a small dinosaur"...that cracked me up!!! {i can just picture it.}

i miss you guys!

yay for a katie visit next week!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!