Thursday, April 23, 2009

Farewell, Dear Friend

The world is a little less bright today. It lost one of it's sweetest occupants yesterday. My dear friend, Arlean, passed away after a lengthy illness. I was able to visit with her one last time about 24 hours before her death, and I am so glad I got to see her one more time. Although she could not really speak to me, I just wanted her to know how how much I love her and appreciate all of the kindness and love she has shown me, and my family, over the years. It was so good to look into those pretty blue eyes and touch those long slender fingers. Although age had ravaged her body, she never lost her beauty in my eyes.

Arlean's daughter, Trisha, was my very best friend from the time we were old enough to cross the street. We were pretty much "joined at the hip" until our early 20's. Then life happened. Although we don't communicate very often anymore, she will always be that best friend!!!! I spent hours and hours with Trisha and her family. Her brothers became MY brothers. Arlean and Bill were so good to me. They took me on family camping trips, jaunts to the Hill Air Force Base swimming pool in the summer, shopping and included me in many family activities. I even got to know their cousins. Arlean called me JoNanny--the only person that has ever done so. Even after I married and left the nest, Arlean NEVER forgot to send me a birthday card. She has been a wonderful friend and neighbor to my parents, as well. They will surely miss her.

After her husband, Bill, passed away over 20 years ago, we were all very concerned about her. But she fooled us all! She got a job as a "foodie" (passing out samples in stores) and became a Jazz fanatic. I believe she had season tickets, and she never missed other events involving the team. I heard stories about her taking her grandson, Benjamin, to those games with her.

I didn't get to see her very often, but every now and then I'd run into her at a store handing out samples. She always had a big hug and words of love to share with me. She was just one of those people that always made you feel like a million bucks.

So farewell, dear friend. I hope you know how much your family and many friends love and miss you.

4 smart remarks:

Kate said...

:( Sad to see her go. She was always sweet to me too.

granny said...

Arlean was one of a kind. Love her. You are right...the world is going to miss her. We need more just like her!

joeyship said...

Granny: I realized after I read your post that I spelled Arlean's name incorrectly. Boy, do I feel silly.

girlygirl said...

So sorry for your loss Jo!