Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Mystery of the Missing Soap

A few months ago I bought some dishwashing soap to keep at work. It was very fragrant and actually had an air freshener at the bottom of the container. Everyone enjoyed having it in the rest room. I always eat breakfast at work and often lunch. I keep a few basic dishes and utensils there for my use. Keep in mind that we do not have a break room. I almost always eat at my desk and wash my dishes in the staff rest room. I put the soap in the rest room so that others could use it, too. Well, I went to use it today and voila, it's gone. Disappeared. No where to be found. Immediately you would think a thieving inmate took it. But we keep the staff restroom locked. That means an employee took it. One of our officers went looking for it in areas where known thieving officers reside, but to no avail. We think someone took a fancy to it and took it home. Brother!!!!!! If you can't trust corrections officers, who can you trust???? It was not a huge loss and can be easily replaced, but it puts a damper on your good feelings about your fellow man. :o( And I place my life and safety in their hands every day. hahaha Other things that have come up missing are a toaster, a large jug of Mt. Olympus water for our cooler, many food items, radio batteries, entire computers and printers, etc. Amazing isn't it?

Here's another amazing phenomenon. Have you ever noticed that if you ever lose anything, the best way to find it is to buy a replacement? My sunglasses have been missing for weeks. I had looked everywhere. I finally caved in and bought some on Saturday. Well, lo and behold, guess what I found today? My sunglasses. I was vacuuming my car. They were under the front passenger seat. They were just far enough under that they could not be easily reached or seen. I was happy to find them--having a second pair is always good. But it's still a little bit annoying. Does anyone else experience this as often as I do???

I'm happy to say that I was able to repair my broken disposal. It was all jammed up on Sunday, and I couldn't get it unjammed, even by using the little allen wrench. I found the owner's manual and was going to read up on how to take the thing apart. I was not looking forward to the prospect because I knew it was going to be stinky and slimy! GAG!!! I had not yet had time to read up on it yesterday. I was cleaning up the kitchen and that side of the sink was draining so slowly. I figured someone had put food down there so I reached inside once again to clear out any food that might be sitting in there. Disgusting job. Low and behold, I felt something long and skinny poking out of one of the edges. I wiggled it around and it broke free. It was a two-inch screw! What was a two-inch screw doing wedged in my disposal???? It's a mystery to me. But all's well that ends well. I hit the reset button on the bottom of the appliance and it runs like a charm!!! What a relief!!!

Tonight I edged the front lawn and also got the weed wacker running. I was able to trim around the sprinklers. Hopefully they will be a little more efficient now. Now I need to really start tackling my weed problem. I just can't seem to find enough hours in the week to get everything done. My closet doors are STILL waiting to be painted. And it's driving me crazy. I am planning to take a couple of days off before the 4th of July. Perhaps I'll get to it then, unless I get called in to work at the gym. I volunteered my services on those two days.

Work is insane and I have aready put in about 4.5 hours of overtime this week. Our clearance process has changed and I can no longer generate a clearance from our database. It has to be manually entered into an Excel spreadsheet. Most of our students will have to be entered on this spreadsheet at least 12 times, some of them up to 26 times. Multiply that by about 150 students and you can see what a job it's going to be. Thank goodness we are running a small program during July. Maybe I'll figure out some things to make it a little easier.

Well, I've bored you with enough of the mundane things that make up my life. Maybe the next few days will bring more exciting entries.

4 smart remarks:

Kate said...

Um. I think I know how that screw got there. I may have, on Saturday, used it to poke a hole in the top of your hair-dye bottle because I couldn't find anything better to use... And, I may have placed it on the edge of the sink because I intended to rinse the goo off of it before I put it back where it came from... And then I might have forgotten that I did that. Oops. I'm glad it's working now!

joeyship said...

Well, that's one mystery solved. Don't worry about it though. All's well that ends well. :o)

granny said...

I can relate to your "replace it and find it" phenomenon. Happens all the time. I'm so impressed with your fix-it skills. And I'm glad you got the disposal fixed so easily. Trimmers and I are not friends...I still have a scar on my leg from my last encounter with said implement. You be da bomb. (Sorry about the dish soap. How lame is that?)

Anonymous said...

Ok, randomly, I can relate to the disappearing soap act. A few years back at our office, our company had purchased soap, and put it in the women's restroom. It promptly disappeared. Puzzled, we purchased new replacement soap. Not long later, it too disappeared. Getting weary of it, we once again purchased a new bottle, this time labelling it as "LHR Property," and placed it in the bathroom. Get this: this time, the bottle stayed, but the soap from inside the bottle disappeared!

We never solved the case.

The soap problems didn't last much longer after that. Maybe the Soap Stealer left my company and is now employed with you... Perhaps send me your co-workers names, and I'll check it by mine, and perhaps we'll find the identity of the Soap Stealer. ;)